- Stroll in the historic center of Bari with its narrow alleys and beautiful churches
- Visit four Unesco World Heritage sites in the Gargano and Valle d’Itria
- Take a walk through the primeval Foresta Umbria
- Explore the colorful port towns on the Gargano peninsula
- See how local bakers make some of the region’s traditional snacks
- Visit a spectacular 12th century Norman castle
- Marvel at the many “trulli” houses that are built with conical roofs
- Savor the region’s delicious food and wine
- Wander between centuries’ old olive trees
- 3 lunches
- 1 dinner
- drinks other than water at meals
- anything not mentioned in the inclusions
Day 1) Arrival in Bari
Make your way to colorful Bari, whose airport is well connected to Rome and other European hubs (or by train from Rome). The city was a bustling commercial hub during the Middle Ages and played an important role in the Crusades. It has several beautiful churches and a colorful Old Town. Meet the group 5 p.m. for a casual city walk followed by a welcome drink and dinner. Overnight Bari.
Days 2-4) Vieste and the Gargano Peninsula
Transfer north today to the beautiful Gargano Peninsula, whose colorful fishing towns and unspoilt nature will captivate you. En route we stop to visit a spectacular and unique Medieval castle and then settle into our lovely hotel in the port town of Vieste. Two days of gentle walks will take you into a primeval forest full of ancient trees and also allow a stroll along the beach. We also have a few cultural surprises that range from a mountain-top pilgrimage site as well as some culinary delights. 2 nights Vieste.
Days 5-7) The Valle d’Itria
Say good-bye to the Gargano and head south into the famous Valle d’Itria, home to massive olive trees, fortified farmhouses called masserie, and whitewashed trulli complexes. We have two lovely walks through the gentle countryside, as well as a visit and tasting at a traditional olive oil producer and of course a trip to the UNESCO World Heritage city of Alberobello, whose town center is made up of some 1,500 trulli! Spend 3 nights at a beautifully restored masseria-and-trulli complex in the countryside. 3 nights near Martina Franca.
Day 8: Departures for Bari (train station or airport)
We offer one group transfer back to Bari, either the airport or train station depending on your group’s plans.
Getting there and away: You can fly directly into the Bari airport, which is well connected to Rome and a variety of European hubs. You can also take the train from Rome (~4-5 hrs) or even down from Florence or Bologna (~7 hrs).