- Visit Naples & the Church of San Severo
- Tour the ruins of Herculaneum
- Explore the Spanish castle in Ischia
- Take a ferry to Procida island
- Private boat ride around Capri & the Amalfi coast
- Walk around beautiful Amalfi town
- Visit the Villa Rufolo gardens in Ravello
- Get a work-out on two Amalfi coast hikes (optional if you prefer easier walks)
Trip price includes
- 7 nights in 3 and 4-star hotels
- 7 breakfasts and 5 dinners
- all visits and transfers as per itinerary
- at least 1 bilingual guide to accompany you throughout the week
- 7 lunches and 2 dinners
- drinks other than water at meals
- anything not mentioned in the inclusions
Days 1 & 2: Naples & Herculaneum
Meet your guide in Naples for two nights in this exciting city. We’ll explore on foot and show you the grand churches and colorful side-streets that make Naples one of the most fascinating cities in Italy. On our second day we tour the ruins of Herculaneum, a small Roman town that was destroyed by the eruption of Vesuvius in 79 AD. It’s quite different from neighboring Pompeii as it was instantly buried in falling ash (not smashed by lava boulders) so more two-story buildings remained intact. It also gets fewer tourists! While in Naples we’ll be sure to sample some of the city’s best food and wine (it’s the birthplace of pizza!). Two nights Naples.
Days 3 – 4: Ischia & Procida Islands
Everybody has heard of the island of Capri, which has become overwhelmed with tourists in recent years. Many Italians prefer the island of Ischia (pron. “ISS-kea”) for its more laid-back atmosphere, beautiful beaches, and striking Spanish castle. We’ll visit the castle and then spend a day exploring the even smaller nearby island of Procida, famous for its colorfully painted houses. Relax at day’s end at a charming family-run hotel right near the beach. 2 nights on Ischia island.
Days 5 – 7: The Amalfi Coast
The next three days of our tour are spent exploring the glorious Amalfi Coast. Spend a day on a private yacht, walk along terraced lemon groves, visit the sparkling gold-leaf cathedral in Amalfi town, and hike the dramatic “Path of the Gods” to postcard-perfect Positano. 3 nights on the Amalfi coast.
Day 8: Tour Ends
Visit beautiful Ravello this morning before a midday transfer takes you back to Naples. We can take you to the train station or the airport according to your group’s travel arrangements.
Getting there and away: The Naples airport is well connected to European hubs by standard and low-cost airlines. It’s also a short (1hr15) train ride from Rome by high-speed rail.